The biggest factors to consider when choosing devices that will connect to your UC solution are: determining the required installation time and avoiding installation-related issues (lengthy installations, device-related errors, etc.).
FXS / ATAs
Ideally, all devices connected to a modern UC server should be IP endpoints (PCs or SIP Phones).
In practice, there are many reasons to stick to analog FXS ports to connect analog devices:
- Users do not need advanced features on their endpoints
- Most fax machines have no built-in VoIP capabilities and require an ATA
- Analog modems connections
- Substituting many twisted pair cables with CAT-5 or CAT-7 cables might be:
- Too expensive
- Not possible because the resulting Ethernet cable would be longer than the maximum allowed Ethernet length (100 meters)
In such cases, the easiest way is to connect an ATA, which is a converter between SIP VoIP and analog interfaces.
In the previous blog article (Insight into the user endpoint) I listed user endpoints. This time I am going to characterize what advanced services can be implemented via SIP phones.
On legacy systems and modern VoIP systems, feature keys can implement a large set of services:
- BLF (Busy Lamp Field), which displays the status of colleagues
- Parking slots
- Speed dial
- Send DTMF
- Trunk / line monitoring and use
Verify how many of these keys your users will need. Also, consider the possibility of providing such advanced services via the UC Client. For example, the user can own a basic VoIP phone for calls but manage all other operations (presence, monitoring, etc.) via the UC client on the PC.
Are you considering investing in UC&C to improve your company’s productivity?
Telephone calls bounce between internal employees, they have to handle millions of emails and exorbitant travel costs: at the dawn of 2018, it is clear that UC&C is the definitive remedy to inefficiencies in internal communication that cause loss of productivity. However, there is one aspect that you must carefully evaluate before moving toward UC&C – a fundamental factor on which the success of the company’s entire investment depends. Because even if you implement the most advanced technology available on the market, the risk of seeing all your efforts nullified is around the corner. And, as you could read from the title of this article, the attack you may come across is a real stab in the back… Continue reading
The user endpoint subject will be covered in this blog article. And I will also describe the importance of collaboration tools and desk phones.
Collaboration Utility / Softphone
In a modern UC solution, a single application should incorporate all services: audio calls, video calls, chat, and presence. The advantages of this arrangement include:
- A unified user experience
- Less investments in dedicated hardware such as VoIP phones, which are not necessary
- Immediate sign-on after opening the application
At the same time, having just one application that incorporates all services poses the following problems :
- It requires the computer and app to active (turned on)
- It relies on the computer’s environment.
- It might not be user-friendly for customers using older versions.
A few days ago Gartner published the first data regarding the trends of the IT sector expected for 2019
If you are a system integrator or an IT company, these forecasts affect you directly, and, as they say, there is good news and bad news.
The good news is that the forecasts for the sector over all, are comforting. Gartner predicts an overall growth in the technology sector.
The bad news, is that this growth could affect only a small part of IT professionals and companies.